Monday 1 June 2009

A Midnight Realization, The Cyprian Surprise & Two Inspiring Friends.

I was extremely perturbed a few days back when I saw the status of this blog. In my desperation to get something, ANYTHING positive or thought provoking about Pakistan online, I had managed a shoddy job of compilations, copy pastes and borrowed material.

The blog at best was average and despite meaning well, it was not doing justice to what I really wanted to do. As a result I sat down online and sent invitations to my friends asking them to contribute original pieces to this site. I thank Bushra and OJ immensly for taking the first steps and actually writing what I am now looking at as the only two genuine heartfelt pieces on this blog.
'I knew what I wanted to do, I knew how to do it BUT thats where it stopped. Beyond that I self curtailed my responsibility, hoping for miraculous contributions that would get my job done somehow.'
As I was going through the blog once again just now, it suddenly occured to me what the real problem was. It wasn't borrowed content, nor was it the stress of wondering when the next original piece would come by. The problem was very simple, and perhaps the same one facing the entire country right now. I knew what I wanted to do (promote thoughts of liberal, moderate Pakistan), I knew how to do it (a blog for starters) BUT thats where it stopped. Beyond that I self curtailed my responsibility to editing, hoping for miraculous contributions that would get my job done somehow.

I will shift from the topic here slightly and Thank my good friend Mr. Adnan Cyprian for helping me realise something today, Adnan perhaps is as leftist as they get and I right of centre. We have for long indulged in debates arguing on how much we varied but not once in over three years of knowing each other did we try to find a commonality. Adnan and I agreed today for the first time. Interesting, because for the first time we both stepped back... I apologized for being stubborn and emotional and he returned the gesture immediately by actually offering a very sympathetic ear. To put a long story oddly short, we realised we both want Pakistan to prosper, we just have different ways of getting about it... VERY different ways.

'If you want something done, you have to jump in yourself first for others to follow.'

Moving on, I'd like to believe most of us want no matter how much we differ amongst ourselves, want the best for this country. We have known what we want, we also have a fair idea how we can get it but for long we have relied on Governments and Leaders and Dictators to do the job for us, a lot like this blog. The point is, if you want something done, you have to jump in yourself first for others to follow. I look forward to contributing to this blog and Pakistan along with my friends who dare to take the first step.

Moral of the Story:
The power lies with us. Today is a good day to start.

1 comment:

  1. And we are going to disagree for a long time to come. And that should be the beauty of it. We should disagree and still be able to have coffee at the end of it. We should not destroy each others lives or property while we have it. The debate is going to be decided what the people think and what they decided is the right path.

    ReplyDelete