Tuesday 2 June 2009

New Era for Pakistan by Bushra Hassan

Yesterday my husband took a cab to get home. When they reached out of the dozens road blocks around Islamabad, the pathan, uneducated cab driver saluted the policeman checking his car. My husband laughed, and asked him why he did that? His reply was simple: “If some one was to give me Rs. 20 million, I still would not do this police man’s job, not even for an hour.”

There is a new found wave of appreciation for the police going around Pakistan these days. We have spent decades complaining about the police, our notorious Pakistan police. However, now we see smiling police men, guarding us, saving us, fighting for us. Most Pakistanis have come to appreciate their jobs, their dedication, and stopped complaining. Period!

This is a new era for Pakistan. One of mutual trust, responsibility and respect. This is new for us. We’re done complaining. It’s about individual actions and collective purpose.

I have made a habit of saluting the police officials every time I take my car near them. They always salute back, they always smile. Have you ever heard of a police official smiling at you, without reason? Now they have a reason, and so do we. It’s called Solidarity.

"Have you ever heard of a police official smiling at you, without reason?Now they have a reason, and so do we. It’s called Solidarity.”
I no longer listen to Indian or English music in my car. The radio’s been turned off and all I have ears for these days are patriotic songs, from Jeevay Jeevay Pakistan, to Yeh Tera Pakistan hai, to the ever green Watan ki mitti gawah rehna etc. I roll down my car windows and sing along. As I drive on the roads of my country, safe and sound, feeling protected and blessed, I come to appreciate even more those fighting for me. As they say in the song: “meri sarhad per pehra hay eemaan ka; mere shehron peh saaya hay Quraan kaa”, I am wrapped in patriotism, and I know I’m not the only one. My friends are feeling the same emotions as I do, dying to get their hands dirty and help out, one way or another. The people from the privileged classes are yearning to help those in need. The people in privileged classes want to serve the poor. When was the last time that happened? Anywhere?

“As they say in the song: “meri sarhad per pehra hay eemaan ka; mere shehron peh saaya hay Quraan kaa”, I am wrapped in patriotism, and I know I’m not the only one. My friends are feeling the same emotions as I do, dying to get their hands dirty and help out, one way or another.”

This is a new era for Pakistan. We come together in times of difficulty, we stand united. We are One, We stand as One, We fight as One.

Long Live Pakistan

Share on Facebook

1 comment: